I have been teaching for almost 12 years. Eleven of those years were spent teaching middle school and now I’m teaching pre-service teachers. I know that teaching is a hard job and there are times it can be a grind.
And yet . . .
I love it.
So, with that in mind, here are some things I am thankful for:
- For watching minds grow and worldviews expand.
- For those aha! moments when a student gets it.
- For the chance to watch students design and create in ways they had never imagined.
- For the opportunity to connect and share ideas with educators from around the world.
- For those times when school is a safe place for a child and for the fact that I get to be a part of that. This year, I’m working with future teachers, but I am often aware that they are the ones who will be creating safe places for students.
- For the fact that I get to stay up on pop culture . . . because, whether or not I want to, I will hear kids sing the latest songs and quote the latest movies.
- For the chance to laugh often. I never knew this job would have so much laughter.
- For the fact that I get to do something creative.
- For the thank you letters from former students on a day when I am doubting myself.
- For the chance to do something meaningful. Every. Day.
What are some of the things you’re thankful for?
Here’s a goofy Vine I created on this topic:
Feel free to follow me on Vine.